SAP and Its Modules
I hope the first blog What is SAP? is interesting and useful,
Please find the list of SAP Modules
We have two major classifications
- Technical consultant
- Functional consultant
- SAP – Basis
- SAP – ABAP
- SAP FI Module– FI stands for Financial Accounting
- SAP CO Module– CO stands for Controlling
- SAP PS Module – and PS is Project Systems
- SAP HR Module – HR stands for Human Resources
- SAP PM Module – where Plant Maintenance is the PM
- SAP MM Module – MM is Materials Management –
- SAP QM Module – QM stands for Quality Management
- SAP PP Module – PP is Production Planning
- SAP SD Module – SD is Sales and Distribution
- SAP BW Module – where BW stands for Business (Data) Warehouse
- SAP EC Module – where EC stands for Enterprise Controlling
- SAP TR Module – where TR stands for Treasury
- SAP IM Module – where IM stands for Investment Management
- SAP QM Module – where QM stands for Quality Management
- SAP – IS where IS stands for Industries specific solution
- SAP – Cross Application Components
- SAP – CRM where CRM stands for Customer Relationship Management
- SAP – SCM where SCM stands for Supply Chain Management
- SAP – PLM where PLM stands for Product Life Cycle Management
- SAP – SRM where SRM stands for Supplier Relationship Management
- SAP – CS where CS stands for Customer Service
- SAP – SEM where SEM stands for STRATEGIC ENTERPRISE MANAGEMENT
- SAP – RE where RE stands for Real Estate
The Technical role does not require domain experience and any fresh/exp candidate can start learning the module.
Basis: – Pure Administration/Analysis:-
Will involve (Network, Database, Operating System, Authorization, Interface etc) – A basis consultant have to work tireless , ready to face challenges , a detective , a trouble shooter, think out of box to resolve the issues.
ABAP: (Advanced Business Application Programming)
originally Allgemeiner Berichts-Aufbereitungs-Prozessor, German for “general report creation processor” ) is a high-level programming language created by the German software company SAP.
Developer who performs Coding – will have to work along with the Functional consultant, design and test the application based on the requirement guided by the functional consultant.
An ABAPer can work with a functional consultant of any module. Knowledge on Java concepts preferable.
This would require the domain Knowledge. A person has to know about the domain subject to practice as a functional consultant in that module.
A fresher can practice in any of the functional module if he has learnt the corresponding domain subject and guidance from a senior functional consultant – yes it is a long term career building plan.
Finally there is one more classification “Techno – Functional”.
They are the so called genius. (A muni who got mukkthi)
Example: – An ABAP er works with a functional consultant “SAP FI” for about 5 years, and then the ABAPer will be prone good for that module FI.
- He will learn FI to perform the logics – code and test
- He will trouble shoot all issues from that module
- When he performs the same activity for years, he will then learn all possible topics in Finance.
- Now he can practice as both Technical and Functional consultant.
The market has very good craze for this kind of people.
Beware: “Jack of all master of none” It is very difficult for a functional consultant to practice on multiple modules.
Please comment if need more information.